Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Time

Time
Needs another minute, at least
Take your time
But you've got a limit
-- Sly and the Family Stone, 1971

I was thinking a lot today about time. And why I never seem to have enough of it. And why, when I do have it, I don't make the best use of it.

I was looking at the New Yorker earlier today and came across a new short story by Zadie Smith, who is one of my inspirations. (I probably wouldn't have even written Somewhere Between Here and There if I hadn't read White Teeth.) It was okay. Wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it's always a pleasure to read her work. But it got me thinking about my own neglected short stories, both written and unwritten.

But who can think about that when I have at least three television synopses (2 sitcoms, 1 drama) that I owe people which remain unwritten. I'm supposed to be rhyming again over The Apprentice's track for a song called "Salvation." I keep telling him it's done, but it's not.

One thing that is done is the poster for my movie. Well, almost. The template is nearly done -- by my good friend and graphic designer extraordinaire Travion Loftis -- we just have to get it printed. But we're still on San Francisco! If you can join us, here's where you can get tickets.

I have a poster now, sort of, well, I have a person to design it at least, and he has everything. Watched my Pistons beat Cleveland in game one of the Eastern Conference Finals the other day. We held LeBron to 10 points and still barely won. Our energy wasn't really that great, but we'll take the win. Ilguaskas was KILLING us, though, man. If someone had told me that LeBron would be LeBroke, I'd have thought we'd have won by 23. But apparently not.

Was watching some of the shorts on BETJ Sunday. Saw 3D, which was Pete Chatmon's thesis film at NYU back in 2000, which starred a young (er) Kerry Washington in one of the lead roles as Angie. It was good, you could definitely see the Spike Lee influence. Thinking of sending Shawn Parker to the BETJ Best Shorts competition. And I may send my old short, Straight from the Heart, as well.

A lot of people have been asking where I go to get into the music that I've been into lately. Well, I listen to Gilles Peterson a lot, especially at work.



I really love when he interviews producers and asks them about their work, while playing his usual ill tracks. The show has done a great job of getting me hip to a lot of British bands and singers that I wouldn't have known much about. So there goes the reason for my sudden British turn (for those who've wondered, and for those that I've forced to listen to my 4hero and Nostalgia 77 CDs).

Listen to Gilles pick the brain of legendary producer Larry Mizell

Gilles and Pharrell

Gilles and Mark Ronson

I guess that's it for now. Say hello to your new American Idol:



I was pulling for Melinda, but Jordin's so talented and cute and... tall, I can't even hate.

Toledo hip hop, folks.We got next.

No comments: