Wednesday, May 09, 2007

back in the saddle again

I hope to update things around here a little more regularly, now that it seems things have calmed a bit. I'm always trying to figure out what I want to do here and once I lost sight of that, I didn't really have a reason to post. I haven't really been taking a lot of pics lately, so not much to update on that front. But I'm working on some writing stuff that you may want to be aware of.

I'm in the middle of rewriting the first three chapters of my novel, Somewhere Between Here and There, through a correspondence class I'm taking with the Long Ridge Writers' Group. This is my second class with them and it's one of the best decisions I've made. My teacher this go-around, Kris Franklin, seems real cool. The point of this class is to do your first three chapters, plus a synopsis and have it be presentable enough that some agents might show you some love. My time at the Iowa Summer Writing Workshop two summers ago taught me that the opening of the book is weak. And with a weak opening, you're finished. Writing problems are like roaches: if you see two, there's probably six. Restructuring the opening helped me to come up with a stronger structure and points of emphasis for the rest of the book. I just sent my renovated first chapter to him last week and I'm proud of it. It is infinitely better. What I'm saying is that I've finally figured out what I'm doing.

I'm working on a few things that I'm trying to get into Wax Poetics. And I volunteered for the L.A. Film Festival at the end of June. Shawn Parker was submitted, but it's not like I'm holding my breath. I've gotten, like, 12 rejections. I have some theories as to why, but you just learn and move on. Meanwhile, I feel like I'm starting from scratch in some areas, particularly film networking. Hence the volunteering. I'm looking forward to it.

Three of my scripts are out, at the Nicholls Fellowship, and in the hands of a producer who has mostly done plays, but is looking to branch into film. And I also applied for the Project:Involve mentorship program. Any or all of these popping off would be, I'm sure, a rewarding opportunity.

Did a review on Joe's new album at ThaHipHop.com, and I have Stephen Marley's new CD on my desk at work, awaiting its fate. I just finished my latest Intrepid Media article. It'll be out Monday. It's on my love/hate relationship with working out.

The playoffs? Bananas. My Pistons are looking so loverly, I can hardly stand it. I'm proud of Golden State and this series with Utah is looking quite phenomenal. It sounds blasphemous to say, but I like this Utah team. I've liked them ever since I saw them dismantle the Clippers earlier this year. (Refer back to my December '06 post.) I just really like Deron Williams' game, man. I like it a lot. If he keeps playing the way he did tonight, I don't think the rest of the planet will be too far behind me.

It's getting late and my cough syrup is kicking in.

Outro.

No comments: