Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Takin' You Higher



Okayplayer hipped me to this cool Vanity Fair article on the recently unearthed Sly Stone. Many who know me know that I've been a big fan of his music since '99 or so. I was fortunate to interview his brother Fred, sister Rose, and former trumpet player/baby mama Cynthia Robinson back in 2000 when I was working on a piece about him.

There's nothing I can really say here that isn't said better in the article on how much Sly's rise and fall meant to music both then and now. Let's just say that his decision to come back and play live gigs is a really big deal to people who know their music.

Still trying to figure out some things about my friend's camera that will allow me to edit and upload my short, tentatively titled, Chris Short: Toddler Reporter. Hopefully, my problems will be resolved by tomorrow. (My problems that relate to this film anyway. All my other problems will continue on, uninterrupted as usual.)

My sinuses are draining today, which is not cool. As usual, it's a reflection on the variable temperatures out here, plus the AC at my job, plus the lack of AC in my car/at the crib. And the fact that I've hardly been sleeping this week thanks to my newfound obsession, Rhapsody.


Just started watching that new BET show, Baldwin Hills, last night. At first, I was all pumped that middle-class black kids were being given their shine, but all the negative Inglewood comments left kind of a nasty taste in my mouth. For those who don't know: Baldwin Hills is not a city, it is a neighborhood. It is at the top of several hills that are bordered by rough spots like the Jungle (where Denzel was kicking it with Eva Mendez in Training Day) and very nice black neighborhoods like Ladera Heights and View Park. What's funny was how they was trying to talk about Inglewood like it's the 'hood, then they ended up kicking it with Stacy at a nice cafe in where? Inglewood! Basically if cats from Baldwin Hills is trying to eat or shop, but stay close to the crib, they gotta come to the 'Wood. Fifty dollars say we see these cats at The Serving Spoon before the show ends. Get outta here wit all that shullbit.

But I still liked the show. Didn't know that little model girl grew up to be so spoiled.

Watched the Charm School reunion. Why them things be so heavily overedited?



I'm not usually into Mo'nique, but her speeches were riveting. It looks like this cool Vanity Fair article Larissa is angling to be the new New York. And why do I always come out of these things feeling sorry for LaLa?

Here's my playlist on Rhapsody (on shuffle) just since I started setting this entry up:

1. Outside My Door -- Can
2. Stop -- J. Dilla
3. I'll Be Faithful -- Dusty Springfield
4. Freddie's Dead -- MFSB
5. You Are the Way You Are (demo) -- Leon Ware
6. Journey Into You -- Leon Ware
7. Lonely -- Bebel Gilberto
8. Babylon -- OutKast
9. If You Play Your Cards Right -- Syleena Johnson
10. Freeprise -- Little Barrie
11. Oh No (You Can't Be Serious) -- Carl Thomas
12. Good Girl -- Chrisette Michele
13. Tomorrow's Dream -- Al Green

If Summer League is any indication, Yi is going to be the NBA Rookie of the Year. But my man Stuckey doesn't seem to be far behind. Joe Dizzle kills 'em again.

No comments: