Wednesday, December 19, 2007

oh, what a night (c) Missy

Last night was bananas.

The home team went out on the town to check out Cornel West and Tavis Smiley in Hollywood. The former was promoting his spoken word CD, Never Forget: A Journey of Revelations. It was a crowded but laid back club vibe, DJ Rashida killed the ones and twos. They played four tracks from the CD and Cornel West commented on each of them, some of his comments turned into mini-dissertations. The knowledge given out was totally appreciated and validated a lot of what I had been thinking.





Then, afterwards, I met David Ritz, author of a host of well-known black music biographies (most notably the one they used for the Ray Charles biopic, and of course, the book I've been obsessing over since high school: Divided Soul -- The Life of Marvin Gaye. I met Levar Burton, which was a trip because I was named after him. Those pics are on the MySpace page. Moms was a big fan of Roots when she was carrying your boy. Hence my middle name. I had an extra cool exchange with Anthony Mackie. Then, came this.





The zoom is ridic on the last one, fa sho, but it was kinda crowded getting to Dr. West and wifey did the best she could. Then, we sat and danced to the 80s and 90s jams and watched some of our hype peers do the Kid N' Play, the wop and the Roger Rabbit. (Amongst other classic moments.)

AND MY PISTONS JUST BEAT THE CELTICS IN BOSTON!!!! Just left a message regarding the game on Michael Bivins's MySpace page. We gangsta like that. They want to come up w/ some new East darlings every year. But we're the dudes. Just face it.

I'm going to have a podcast soon. Probably after the New Year. More details to come. I have the name and the basic concept. But I'll let you know the full, when I have the full.

1 comment:

dj5fold said...

Man that loss to Detroit really stung